Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tell Them What is Going On!


Separation anxiety, it's a problem most pet owner's have faced at some point.

The symptoms vary from animal to animal, but no matter how subtle their anxiety seems, it is always there - even for cats.

Now, with my cat - she pretends she doesn't care (she doesn't need me you see), but, she will always lurk at the front door, or on the verandah, staring into the distance until I return. I have even caught her trying to sneakily follow me down the street.

If you think about it, all anxiety symptoms in animals make sense. They don't know where you're going, they don't know why, and they are not certain if or when you will be back. In the animal world, when loved ones go away, sometimes they never come back, or are injured when they do. Even after centuries of domestication this frame of mind still remains with them.

The solution to anxiety is simpler than you may think. This is what works for me and Her Royal Highness anyway.

Just tell them when you are going, tell them why, and for the love of the cat (or dog) tell them that you will be back no matter what. Crazily enough something this simple works a treat.

If I forget to tell Her Royal Highness that I am leaving and will be back, or if I sneak out of the house like I used to, to try and prevent her anxiety then she will worry, and worry some more.

On the other hand, if I tell her I am leaving, she will look at me as if to say, "You may leave if you absolutely must, AS LONG as you are home by dinner." Then she will simply carry on ripping up the furniture, or terrorizing lizards - simple day-to-day business.

Animals are smarter than most people think, and every pet owner will tell you that their pet understands every word they say - even if they pretend not to at times. Even the proudest and most independent of cats DOES worry.

After all, imagine the inconvenience if you die.

No comments:

Post a Comment