Friday, January 29, 2010

Her Royal Highness




My partnership with my darling cat started on the 20th of November 2007.


A friend of mine had a cat who ended up having a litter of kittens. One day he contacted me at about 3 in the morning, he had found himself in a predicament.


All the kittens had found homes, except one. No one wanted the little black girl, apparently it is a common perception that black cats are bad luck - even now (can you believe that?). So, since they couldn't find her a home she was going to go to the RSPCA (animal shelter).


This is when my fury started, imagine people tossing away a cat because of superstitions. Was she doomed for life, because she was black? Is she any less of a cat? Would she not still provide love and companionship? In th midst of my fury I contacted the RSPCA, just to find out what the chances for a black cat truly were. Apparently even there, with people coming from far and wide to adopt - black cats were the last to find homes.


That was it, I was furious with the world, worrying my heart out for this poor little cat.


The solution was obvious, I was getting a cat. So I called my friend and told him I was coming over to meet her.


Beautiful and black, with big golden eyes. She pounced on my feet, and it was love at first sight. I brought her home and we both have never been happier.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I call our situation a partnership, not an ownership.


Truthfully I do not know many people who 'own' their cats. (It's normally the other way around). She loves me and stays with me because she chooses to, not because she has to.


I give a lot, I get alot.


I am not the type of person that believes pet's are just pet's. She is my baby, and therefore treated accordingly. I would not be surprised at all if she was the most spoilt cat, she is certainly the most spoilt cat I know.


The best things in life happen suddenly, and sometimes the split-second decisions you make change your life forever. I adopted a tiny little kitten who was unwanted, now she is two.





Look at her now, it is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment